Translate

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Questions with Quinton!

Konnichiwa guys!

Okay so these next two weeks we will be doing something totally new for questions with quinton. Today I will answering some questions that some of my fellow writers have about my writing, life or anything that crosses their mind. In the following week edition, we shall all be answering questions from you our fans. ;) That's right, you'll be asking questions for all of our blog members! But for this week it'll just be me. Here's what they wanted to ask me:

Megan: How do you develop your plots? Do you have any tips for writing processes and characterization?

Quinton: I develop my plots by first figuring out what the theme is, and how I want the story to ultimately end. Once I figure these out, I come up with a beginning that is in complete contrast of the atmoshpere of the ending, but that can be bent into many different situations. Then I establish the key points in the story, and add the finishing deatils last.

As for any tips, for writing processes I recommend that if you get writer's block, either stop writing and freewrite something totally off topic. Freewrite your story from that point then make edits as you go. Skip that part and write the next part. Or lastly, the one that works best for me, stop and let your mind wander.

For characterization, I recommend spending days on the characters. Everything from their clothing to their name is important. For example, with Azazel, his name actually means "greed" which happens to go with his aspect of greed. His favorite necklace is that of a lion, which is considered the embodiment of greed to some cultures. His favorite shirt is also green, which is the color of money. Also, the difference between characters and real life people is that characters are rational to some form. So make sure that everyone can understand the connections and they make sense.

Tara: When you began writing Pieces, did you have any idea how complex the story line would become? Did you plan for it to be intricate or did it start as a narrative about places you had been and people you met?

Me: While when I first started Pieces, it was story told from third person, from the perspective of an older Rey telling the stories to Stella's and Azazel's kids. :P So just from that, you can tell how much it has changed. I started to change the story line to fit more into my genre of writing(fantasy and sci-fi) so that I would be able to convey the message easier. The idea to tell the story from five differents points-of-view came from the fact Rey wasn't in enough of the scenes to tell every aspect and detail of the story. From all that, the story line of Pieces was born!

Anora: What made you start up L.I.F.?

Well, it was me and Chris that started it up, but I proposed the idea to start it up because I couldn't find a site that allowed from the kind of interaction that we have here. Only a few days later, my spanish teacher introduced blogger to me, and told me it would be great from me. A minor attribute was that I also wanted a place that I could stread infomation about my book. ;)

Alex: what's your fascination with puzzles??

Well first, for those of you who are lost, much of my writing speaks in one of a few styles: with a underlying tone of loneliness or hopelessness, easy-going, or in some form of a puzzle. You see, I love puzzles because they are the thing that perfectly describes human behavior the best for me. How so you may ask? You'll have to read Pieces to find out that information...

And now for the grand finale...................... Drum roll please.....
.............
.............
.............
.............
.............
...........

Joseph: Who should the Bengals draft first in the upcoming draft?

Oh good old Joseph gets me with a sports question ;) Well first off, I would like to say I have gone 1-1 so far in the bowls I predicted last time. Let's go buckeyes! Second, the bengals need a lot of help right now. Quarterback, Running back, Wide Reciever, Linebacker, and both lines are spots of corcern. If I had to choose however, I would say that Wide Reciever, Running back, and linebacker are perfectly fine and if anything should handled in later rounds or free agency. Offensive line needs some help but will live, so it comes down to d-line and Quarterback. At this high a pick, and a possibly that Cameron Heyward will make it to the second round, the bengals should get a Quarterback to groom to behind Carson for the rebuilding years. I suggest Andrew Luck if he makes it to them, but if not, then Ryan Mallet. Cam Newton is a hell-no all the way though. But with Mike Brown as our owner, expect the worse chose possible. :P

~Quinton

No comments: