Translate

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Testimony

My poem today comes from an unexpected inspiration. Throughout my life I have been the victim of bullying like many others. The saying "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" was a mantra I repeated daily throughout my early childhood. Everyday I repeated it, praying that it would hold true. Sometimes it did, other times it didn't. However, looking back I can see how being subjected to such torment made me stronger and less caring of others' thoughts. The poem that follows takes a twist on my mantra. It shows how strength did come to me even though words did hurt me. 

Enjoy.

Sticks and stones build my thoughts
No, my bones they did not break.
I built my mind upon their strength
and the words that would never hurt me
pierced like needles through the cracks
They seeped through and poisoned a solid stone.

Here’s to the words that other’s claim to be naught
Here’s to the words meant to hurt and kill
Here’s to the words that were to destroy me:
Yes you did damage what once was a solid place
But you filled the cracks between the stick and stone
and like mortar held me together.

Here’s to the words that first pierced my heart:
I’m still here, even stronger than before.

~Anora Anakaya~

No comments: