Translate

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Review




Lately I have found myself with a new addiction. The addiction is being absorbed with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, both the book and the movie. The whole thing started last Tuesday when I went to see the movie in theaters. Yes, I went to see the movie before I read the book, and I believe I have very sound reasons for doing so. Since I had not read the book, I was able to watch the movie and judge whether I liked it on its own. I did not spend the whole two hours and forty minutes comparing the movie to the book, and obsessing over the things that the movie didn’t include. Nor was I mad because the characters looked different from my mental image I created while reading the book. If you’ve never tried watching a movie and then reading the novel it is based off of, I would suggest you try it. You could find that both the movie and the book are enjoyable that way. So this post is a response on my opinions  of the book and the movie, together.

In my opinion filmmakers did a wonderful job on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The story line was easy to catch on to, and quickly caught my attention.  The movie also held my attention, which is a very important quality to me. The mystery was well thought out, and I was able to keep guessing how it would be solved until close to the end. Another quality that appeals to me, I get tired of mysteries that are easy to figure out. The feel of the movie was a cold kind of suspense (I suspect that the cold environment depicted in the movie had a lot to do with the cold feeling for me). The movie had some scenes that were very graphic and when I looked up the rating at home I wasn’t surprised that the film was rated “R”.  If you haven’t read the book I strongly suggest looking up the rating, so that you know what you are getting into. If you have read the book, then you know what to expect.

The novel The Girl with the Dragon tattoo was a different experience from the movie. It was a much longer experience for me since the book has 644 pages. I admit that at times the book seemed to drag on or be a little too descriptive, but I was able to complete it in six days with a work schedule. The book had a lot more for me to think about. It gave very detailed descriptions of each character and allowed me to get inside the characters’ minds better than the movie. While reading the book I was able to set aside what I knew and get wrapped up in the story line. This book was a compelling book for me, and  when I wasn’t reading it, I was thinking about it and wishing I were reading it. My favorite character in the story is Lisbeth Salander. I like that she is unique and in a few ways I was able to relate to the way that she thinks. I would recommend this book because it is a really good suspenseful mystery.

So there it is. I really enjoyed The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and I feel confident that many of our readers would as well. If you have read the book prior to reading this post, comment and let me know what you thought of it. If you’ve seen the movie, I would love to get comments telling me how it was for our readers. Until next time…
Terra

~Edited by Quinton

No comments: